How to Register
The Construction Workers’ Pension Scheme (CWPS), provides sick pay benefit to members who can not work due to illness or injury. To join the Sick Pay Trust, you must be a member of CWPS.
Sick pay benefit is provided at a low weekly cost to both employer and members. It is paid to active members up to the age of 70 years. Both the employee and employer pay a weekly contribution to the Sick Pay Trust and this covers members for benefit if they are absent from work due to illness or injury.
This contribution, along with the deduction for pension and death in service benefit, is deducted from the member’s wages each week by their employer as part of the Construction Workers’ Pension Scheme. The Sick Pay Trust is managed by the Construction Workers’ Sick Pay Trustee DAC and benefits are paid directly from the fund without the need for medical underwriting.
Membership of CWPS also satisfies the conditions of the current Sectoral Employment Orders (Construction and Electrical Contracting Sectors 2021), in respect of pension, Sick Pay and Death in Service benefit for all workers registered with CWPS.
How to Qualify for Sick Pay Benefit
Before you can make a claim for sick pay benefit, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Claimants must be registered in CWPS and under 70 years of age.
- At least 13 contributions must be paid into CWPS for the claimant in the six months immediately before the first day of the illness or injury.
- Claimants must be currently employed by an employer registered in CWPS for the period covered by their claim.
- Claimants must make their claim for benefit within two months of the date their illness or injury began.
- Sick pay benefit cannot be claimed for any periods of unemployment.
How much does it cost?
Contribution rates (valid from Feb 1st 2023)
The current sick pay contribution that is deducted from a member’s salary is €0.63 per week. Employers also pays a contribution towards sick pay of €1.27 per week. New SEO contribution rates are effective 1st Feb 2023.
- Employee Contribution: €0.63
- Employer Contribution: €1.27 per week
- Total Contribution: €1.90 per week
The Scheme does not offer sick pay benefit as a standalone product. It is only offered to members of the Construction Workers’ Pension Scheme (CWPS). To view the Sick Pay Trust brochure, click here.